Sunday, August 7, 2011

Everyday Gluten Free



Well, I think most of you know, but Caleb cannot (should not) be eating gluten at this point in life because the doctor says he is allergic to it. Not like he will die if he has it, but it will make him sick and eventually "blow up" his intestines.... (that would be seriously freaky!) But... one of our favorite things to eat is pasta (not to mention it is great on the budget end) but pasta is like a gluten allergies worst nightmare! So, upon research and word of mouth, I heard that the BEST gluten free pasta is actually made from quinoa which is a protein. I don't know that much about it but once I do, I'll post some more info. Anyways, all that to say that quinoa pasta is the best substitue for real pasta, but let me tell you it in NO way is friendly for the budget, coming in at a whole $3 for an 8oz box! (YIKES!) but it's easy, it tastes pretty darn good and since it's a protein less pasta still fills you up. Above is a picture of what I made, gluten free pasta with basil oil and goat cheese. It is a recipe from Real Simple, July 2011. The recipe is as follows:


12oz (I did 8oz) of pasta, cooked according to package directions, drain and return to pot


Meanwhile in a blender combine 2 cups fresh basil leaves with 1/2 cup olive oil, blend until smooth


Pour basil oil through a fine mesh strainer pressing on solids to release the oil, discard solids


Toss the basil oil with the pasta and stir in 4-5oz (almost a whole log) of crumbled goat cheese


Top with fresh basil leaves and serve


*I added sliced chicken to the top, because my husband is not the vegetarian type!


** This isn't that good cold, so make sure the family is at the table when you're putting the finishing touches on it!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment